Student Review Questions
- Devise a method to increase the capacity of the trails in an area of heathland where excessive numbers of hikers, horse riders and other recreational users have caused severe erosion.
- Give examples of island destinations where the wildlife resource is vulnerable to even small numbers of visitors, and suggest ways of managing the problem.
- Devise a method to assess the social carrying capacity of a small fishing community in the early stages of tourism development.
- There is an increasing trend to involve all stakeholders at a destination in the tourism planning process. How can this be done in a balanced way to ensure that it is not just the loudest and most influential voices that are heard?
- Sometimes, tourist attractions reach saturation point in terms of capacity and are at risk of deteriorating. How might such attractions introduce ‘demarketing’ to reduce visitation?