Student Review Questions
Identify the most significant changes that have taken place since 1990 in:
- the structure of tourism
- tourist flows in Eastern Europe and the CIS.
- Describe some of the environmental problems impacting on tourism in Eastern Europe and Russia, and explain why these are difficult to resolve.
- Explain the importance of infrastructure for the development of business tourism and Western-style leisure tourism in Eastern Europe and the CIS.
- Explain the significance of cultural attractions for inbound tourism in Russia and specific countries in Eastern Europe.
- Analyse the factors influencing the demand for domestic and outbound tourism in Russia and specific countries in Eastern Europe.
- The Danube: Story of a River: Draft a commentary for a cruise on the River Danube from Passau to the Delta, pointing out the places of interest in their historical context, including the engineering projects that have ‘tamed’ the river in more recent times. The commentary should be accompanied by an annotated map (not necessarily to scale) indicating the countries through which the Danube flows by their national flags, and the places of interest to be visited or sighted in the course of the cruise.