Chapter 2: Narrative Structure
- The opening shot of Raiders of the Lost Ark begins the film in the middle of the action.
- Raiders of the Lost Ark: Belloq serves as the antagonist to Indy's protagonist.
- The cause-effect narrative chain.
- The climax of Raiders of the Lost Ark brings the narrative conflict to a peak.
- Raiders of the Lost Ark: Storing the Ark in a huge warehouse is part of the film's narrative closure.
- In the exposition of a Friends episode, Rachel asks Joey for key narrative information, which he cannot provide.
- More Friends exposition: a secondary storyline develops between Monica and Chandler.
- Friends: Ross looks guilty during the instant before a commercial break…
- …and everyone stares at him during the instant right after it.
- Friends: The final shot before the end credits opens the possibility of a union between Joey and Janice.
- The opening shot of an All My Children episode begins the program in the middle of the action; J. R. eavesdrops on two characters.
- All My Children: Kendall is framed in a tight close-up just before a commercial break. She has been asked what she will do about her controversial pregnancy…
- …and after the break she avoids providing a full answer.
- All My Children: The last shot of this episode provides no narrative resolution, as Babe plots further schemes.
- Transmedia storytelling: a Dunder Mifflin Website supplements stories seen on The Office.