Chapter 10: Sound
- A digital audio workstation (Pro Tools) separates sound into separate tracks.
- An enlarged waveform shows the changing volume of human speech.
- An ad card promotes music used in an episode of One Tree Hill.
- Workers in a Dodge commercial from the 1950s are urged by a narrator to “Turn her out, Henry!…”
- “…Turn her out, Joe! We'll put her together and watch her go!”
- A mismatch of sound and image perspective in Ugly Betty: We hear Ignacio as if he were close to us, but the camera views him from far away.
- A waveform is broken into individual samples (shown as dots here) in the digitizing process.
- A microphone's pick-up pattern indicates where it is most sensitive to sound.
- A lavaliere mike is almost invisible on Jay Leno's tie.
- Howard Stern is close-miked as he does his radio show.
- Damages: we see Katie in the present day, but we hear dialogue from five years prior.
- We see Katie in a flashback to the past, but we hear dialogue from the present day.