This Companion Website for Teaching Children’s Literature: It’s Critical! provides additional materials to extend inquiry and support you in using children’s literature critically in your current or future classroom.
Designed with both students and instructors in mind, the Companion Website features:
- Annotations. Children’s and adolescent literature discussed in the book— including author, year of publication, title, publisher, type of book, and a summary of what each book is about
- Text Sets. Collections of books and other resources that provide many different perspectives on tough social issues such as war, homelessness, bullying, racism, and homophobia.
- Resources by Chapter. Handy links to URLs and other resources mentioned in the book
- Syllabi, Strategies, and Assignments. Examples meant as starting points, offered as “one possible way” rather than “the way” to do something
- Additional Books and Other Resources
Our wish for this Website is that it will serve as a quick reference for experienced practitioners and a helping hand for those who are newer to the ideas shared in the book. Figuratively speaking, it is there to help you get your arms around a critical approach to teaching children’s literature.
—Chris Leland, Mitzi Lewison, Jerry Harste