Now in its third edition, The Heart of Counseling is a key resource helping students to understand the importance of therapeutic relationships and to develop the qualities that make the therapeutic relationships they build with clients the foundation of healing.
In these pages, students will learn how all skills arise from, and are directly related to, the counselor’s development and how they build therapeutic relationships. Student learning ranges from therapeutic listening and empathy to structuring sessions, from explaining counseling to clients and caregivers to providing wrap-around services, and ultimately to experiencing therapeutic relationships as the foundation of professional and personal growth.
Enhancing development with extensive online student and instructor materials, this new edition includes:
- extensive case studies and discussions on applying skills in school and agency settings
- specific guidance on how to translate the abstract concepts of therapeutic relationships into concrete skill sets
- exploration of counseling theories and tasks within and extending from core counseling skills
- session videos that bring each chapter to life
- test banks, an instructor’s guide, slides and lesson notes, syllabus, and video sessions index