Welcome to the website for Sociology of Mental Disorder.
The tenth edition of Sociology of Mental Disorder presents the major issues and research findings on the influence of race, social class, gender, and age on the incidence and prevalence of mental disorder. The text also examines the institutions that help those with mental disorders, mental health law, and public policy.
Many important updates are new to this edition:
- More first-person accounts of individuals who suffer from mental illness are included.
- The new DSM-5 is now thoroughly covered along with the controversy surrounding it.
- A new section on social class and its components.
- Updated assessment of the relationship between mental health and gender.
- A revised and in-depth discussion of mental health and race.
- New material on public policy, mental disorder, and the Affordable Health Care Act.
- Updates of research and citations throughout.