Welcome to the companion website for the 4th edition of Second Language Acquisition: An Introductory Course. This website contains helpful resources for instructors and students using Susan M. Gass’ bestselling textbook in their introductory SLA course.
Second Language Acquisition: An Introductory Course, 4th Edition is a comprehensive and accessible overview of the field of second language acquisition and its related disciplines. The book introduces students to current issues of data collection and data analysis, as well as provides an historical overview of the field, thus giving students context and perspective about how today's issues arise from earlier approaches. Discussion questions and/or problems at the end of each chapter help students apply their knowledge and relate information across chapters, and a glossary defines and reinforces must-know terminology.
Written by pioneers in the field, this text remains the cornerstone volume for the study of second language acquisition. With up-to-date summaries of SLA issues, an emphasis on empirical findings, and a clearly written and illustrated presentation, the book continues to be a highly effective introduction to SLA for students in second language studies, applied linguistics, linguistics, TESOL, and language education programs.
We are eager to receive feedback from instructors and students. Please use the Feedback Form to share your comments and suggestions for this website or for Second Language Acquisition: An Introductory Course, 4th Edition.
Features of this Website
Resources for Instructors
- PowerPoint slides of sample lesson plans, organized both by chapter and by topic, to aid in course preparation, (with accompanying handouts for Chapters 8, 10, and 11)
- Data analysis problems from the bestselling workbook, Second Language Learning Data Analysis, 2nd Edition by Susan Gass, Antonella Sorace, and Larry Selinker, to print out and use in the classroom or as homework assignments
- Instructor’s Manual for Second Language Learning Data Analysis, 2nd Edition with answers to all of the problems
Resources for Students
- Interview with Susan Gass discussing the aims and scope of the textbook, and its interdisciplinary coverage of the SLA field
- Flashcards of the textbook’s glossary entries for self-testing knowledge of key terms and definitions
- MP3 files of the audio data that accompanies Second Language Learning Data Analysis, 2nd Edition