Chapter 8: Religious Oppression
Christina, G. (2012). Why are you atheists so angry? 99 things that piss off the godless. Charlottesville, VA: Pitchstone.
Eck, D. (2001). A new religious America: How a “Christian country” has become the world’s most religiously diverse nation. San Francisco: Harper One.
Fraser, J. W. (1999). Between church and state: Religion and public education in a multicultural America. New York: St. Martin’s Press.
Ghanea Bassiri, K. (2010). A history of Islam in America: From the new world to the new world order. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
Green, S. K. (2012). The Bible, the school, and the Constitution: The clash that shaped modern church-state doctrine. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press.
Haynes, C.C., & Thomas, O. (2001). Finding common ground: A guide to religious liberty in public schools. Nashville: The First Amendment Center.
Jacoby, S. (2004). Freethinkers: A history of American secularism. New York: Holt & Co.
Killermann, S. (2012). 30+ examples of Christian privilege. Project Humanities, ASU. Retrieved fromhttps://humanities.asu.edu/christian-privilege-checklist
Laqueur, W. (2006). The changing face of anti-Semitism: From ancient times to the present day. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press.
Niebuhr, G. (2008). Beyond tolerance: Searching for interfaith understanding in America. New York: Viking Press.
Patel, E. (2012). Sacred ground: Pluralism, prejudice, and the promise of America. Boston: Beacon Press.
Said, E. W. (1978). Orientalism. New York: Vintage Books.
Wills, D. W. (2005). Christianity in the United States: A historical survey and interpretation. Notre Dame, IN: University of Notre Dame Press.
- Public Broadcasting Service (PBS). God in America [Video file]. Retrieved from http://www.pbs.org/godinamerica/view/
- A six-part series that interweaves documentary footage, historical dramatization, and interviews with religious historians discussing pre-colonial times to the present.
- Mehta, H. (2014, June 21). 33 reasons why it is GREAT to be Christian in the US [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMWNYmuhTvg
- This short video lists 33 Christian privileges. The material is presented in a conversational manner.
- Gervais, W. (2015, May 27). Will Gervais: Anti-atheist prejudice (AHA Conference 2015) [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP-p3H8xvgI
- A video of a lecture presentation on atheism that provides a sociocultural overview of discrimination against atheism, discusses specific biases that atheists face, and provides concrete recommendations on reducing prejudice against atheists.
- Not in Our Town (n.d.). Videos [Collection of video files]. Retrieved from https://www.niot.org/videos
- At this site, eight videos are available on different communities that stood up against hate. Many of the videos relate to hate crimes and interfaith movements when specific houses of worship were targeted. Videos addressing other forms of hate are also available.
- America’s Interfaith Infrastructure: A Pilot Study
- A pilot study from the Pluralism Project that examines interfaith efforts in 20 cities across the U.S. The website provides case studies, multimedia presentations, and fact sheets on the communities examined.
- Pluralism Project
- A site that documents religious diversity in the U.S. and provides snapshots on different faiths, present and growing, in the U.S.
- Learning about Atheism and Agnosticism
- A resource that provides a variety of voices and perspectives on atheists and agnostics in the U.S.
- Religion in Public Schools
- Many up-to-date resources on a host of issues related to religious liberty and public schools.
- Religion and Intersectionality
- This site provides thought-provoking articles on a range of issues that intersect with religion, including gender, sexuality, politics, law, popular culture, and science.
- Understanding the Lived Religion and the Diversity of Faith (across religions)
- A website that provides short analytical essays on different facets of all religions, allowing the reader to have a complex understanding of different issues within religions.
- Not in Our Town
- Information and tools for educators and activists for standing up against hate.