Popular World Music, Second Edition introduces students to popular music genres and artists from around the world. Andrew Shahriari discusses international music styles familiar to most students—Reggae, Salsa, K-Pop, and more—with a comprehensive listening-oriented introduction to mainstream musical culture. Each chapter focuses on specific music styles and their associated geographic origin, as well as best-known representative artists, such as Bob Marley, Carmen Miranda, ABBA, and Ladysmith Black Mambazo.
This companion website features a wealth of resources for both the student and instructor.
For the student
- Spotify and iTunes links for each Listening Guide track found in the text
- Flashcards of glossary terms, broken out by chapter
- Multiple-choice quizzes for self-assessment
- Additional audio examples and links highlighting key concepts
- An interactive map placing world music cultures in geographical context
- Further resources and links to supplementary listening examples
For the instructor
- All-new PowerPoint slides for each chapter
- Assignment suggestions for outside the classroom
- A test bank of additional multiple-choice questions
- A complete Listening Guide track list for easy reference