Student Review Questions
How would you classify the following examples of travellers? (NB. some may not be tourists!):
- James Pennywise, a computer salesman from Birmingham is visiting Bournemouth to help organise a short training course in the latest information technology.
- Philippa Tease, a travel agent from Miami, Florida, is attending the annual ASTA Convention in Bermuda as a delegate.
- Philippa and her Spanish friend Ramona are planning an ‘eco-trip’ later in the year to explore the Ecuadorian rainforest ‘as far away from tourists as possible’.
- Franco Pirelli from California is visiting Rimini in Italy for a family reunion.
- Ulla Erikson from Stockholm is visiting Santorini in the Greek islands for a few hours as part of a Mediterranean cruise.
- Valentina from Vilnius, a student at an English language school in Poole, England, is travelling to Cherbourg on the 7:30 ferry and returning to Poole at 6:00 the following day.
- Anne-Michelle from Sydney is working as a volunteer on community projects in Thailand, as part of her gap year before starting university.
- Investigate the ways in which Spanish and Japanese attitudes to work and leisure differ from those prevalent in Britain and the USA.
- Draw up a chart comparing working hours and paid holiday entitlement (taking account of national holidays) in your own country with other countries in Asia, Europe and North America.
- Draw up a chart based on Figure 1.5 outlining a recent holiday trip. This should indicate the time spent on various stages of the trip as well as the places you visited and the activities you took part in.